Barrettine Wood preservative is the perfect undercoat for any exterior project including but not limited to decking (where a top coat of Decking Oil will offer the ultimate protection). This new formula now includes protection against wood boring insects.
Exterior wood to be treated must be clean, dry and free from surface coatings such as varnish or paint etc. Any such coatings must first be removed with a suitable remover.
Easily applied with a brush or roller. If you have a large area to finish you might like to consider the shed and fence spray system - although not recommended due to the solvents perishing the spray washers it is possible to use the Shed and Fence Spray System for a day, so provided you can complete your project within a day this is still a good, cost effective option.
Barrettine Wood Preservative should be stirred thoroughly before application. Allow to dry between coats. End grain of timber should be treated to saturation for the best protection. 2 coats of wood preserver offer the best protection on sawn / rough timber while up to 3 coats can be applied on smooth timber
Up to 48 hours drying time, however temperature and humidity will effect duration.
This solvent-based wood preserver should only be used in well ventilated areas. Care should be taken with the cleaning and disposal of any brushes, cloths, tins or other materials that have come into contact with this wood preservative.
- Wear suitable protective clothing and suitable gloves. Wash any contamination from eyes or skin immediately.
- Do not contaminate foodstuffs, eating utensils or food contact surfaces.
- Thoroughly wash hands and any exposed skin after use and before meals.
- Ensure that all water storage tanks are thoroughly covered before application.
- Remove, cover or protect all fish tanks / ponds before application - Harmful to aquatic organisms.
- Keep product in original container only.
- Keep container sealed and in a safe place at all times.
- Keep out of reach of children at all times.
- Do not breathe fumes / spray.
- Ventilate treated areas thoroughly after application.
- Keep away from sources of ignition - NO SMOKING.
- Until dry - Treated surfaces can pose a fire risk.
- Not suitable for use on garden furniture unless over-coated with an appropriate sealer i.e exterior wood oil or varnish.
- Do not empty contents in to a drain or soil.
- Avoid contact with all plant life.
- Hazardous to Bees.
If swallowed, do not induce vomiting, seek immediate medical attention and show the product container / label.
Avoid contact with plastics, masonry and other non-wooden surfaces. Spillages on bitumen type products may soften or swell with the fluid or vapour.
Q. Is this all I need to protect my summer house?
This product is commonly used on its own on sheds and fences and other exterior items constructed of rough wood, however for a total treatment we would recommend Log Cabin Treatment for added water repellency and weather protection, or Fiddes Exterior Wood Oil to also reduce the likelyhood of your log cabin from greying.
Q. Can I use Barrettine Wood Preservative on a chicken shed and dog kennel?
Barrettine Wood Preservative is perfectly safe to use on any surface that comes into contact with animals when dry. This includes but is not limited to dog kennels, chicken sheds and houses, horse stables and more. It's important to remember that this wood preservation treatment should be over-coated with a suitable exterior oil. Animals should only come into contact with the surface of the wood when both the wood preserver and oil have fully dried.